On November 5th I attended R.L. Mathewson’s first EVER book signing! Words cannot even describe how excited I was to actually meet one of my all-time favorite authors! I can say proudly I did not tackle her down ;) I did, however, freeze for a millisecond when she introduced herself and shook my hand, but that’s another story. Since I’m a HUGE fan, I figured meeting her would be the cause of me fainting for the first time in my life but thankfully there was a beautiful cake by Ashley Davis (Cupcake Kisses Bakery) that kept me on my toes. YUM! See pics below! I met some wonderful ladies & fellow book lovers who now know me as “Question Girl.” (Only we will ever know what that means haha) During the Q&A we were all able to ask questions that we’ve been wondering for months, and here is a recap. Enjoy! **I also recommend drinking cocoa while reading ;)
1. What influenced you to write?
She mentioned reading Twilight and enjoying the books; but she also had a love for the TV show “Buffy the Vampire Slayer” & Spike’s character.
3. Do you have a daily writing goal or do you stick to an outline?
She writes all the time. (Good news for us!! *squeals*) Anytime an idea comes to her she writes it down, even in her phone. At the moment she is writing THREE books at once! INCREDIBLE! The writing process for each book (in the many series she has) is different. For example, Ephraim’s story (Tall, Dark & Lonely) only took three weeks to write! WOW!
4. Do you ever experience writer’s block? If so, how do you get over it?
Yes, she does! Surprising (I know!) since she’s written so many wonderful stories! She works through it by coming back to the story while working on a different book.
5. What does your family think about being related to a famous author? Has your writing influenced them?
She doesn’t think of herself as a famous author. *pshh* Whatever you NY Times Best-Seller YOU! ;) (*cough cough* Checkmate is #21 CONGRATS!) Although, she has seen an increase in distant “cousins” that she never knew she had…
6. Some authors write to music. Do you listen to anything while working?
YES! While writing, she needs to listen to music through speakers (not headphones) since she is also a full time mom! Wonder woman does it all!
7. How do you decide the title names?
For some it comes during the writing process & others after she’s done. Also, did you know that R.L. creates the covers!? So cool!
8. Which character spoke the loudest to you? Did any of them clamor to be heard over the others?
Nick and Jamie from A Reclusive Heart spoke the loudest to her.
9. Do you have any bad neighbor stories of your own?
Nope, but she wishes! ;)
10. How do you juggle writing so many series?
It’s almost therapeutic. She loves to write; and when ideas come to her, she needs to write them down. She mentioned having over 50 stories and plots that she has written already! YESSSS!!!
11. If you could see any of your characters (from different series) meet, who would they be?
Jason from Playing for Keeps & Nick from A Reclusive Heart. Now that’s a sight we’d love to see!
12. What series have readers asked you the most about? Character?
Definitely the “Neighbor from Hell Series,” specifically the Bradfords.
13. Who would win the last piece of chocolate– Jamie (A Reclusive Heart) or Izzy (Without Regret)?
Izzy! She’s a Sentinel. Which by the way… the significance of the November 25th date for the Sentinels is actually R.L.’s birthday!
14. Which one of your books would you most like to see made into a film?
“The Pyte/Sentinel Serie!” It would be a little more difficult to try and put any of the “Neighbor from Hell Series” into a film without dragging out the storylines and adding fluff.
15. If you could describe your books in 3 words, what would they be?
“A Good Time”
16. Do you have any other writing projects on the horizon?
One of her next books is about Tristan from the “Hollywood Hearts Series.” She is also working on an “In-laws from Hell Series!” ECKKK! *squeals* No specifics yet, but we’ll keep you updated! Although, a brand new series is coming out in January!! :) And hopefully by March we’ll get to read the next installment in “The Pyte/Sentinel Series.”
17. If you had to go back and do it all over, is there any aspect of your novels or getting them published that you would change?
Writing sooner for practice. She mentioned how her earlier work was terrible! (We don’t believe that for a second!)
Find out more about R.L. & her books at http://www.rlmathewson.com/ :)
7 Smooches Showdown
1. Dream city/vacation
Well, we’re on it right now, lol. Disneyworld! After that it would have to be Europe, a tropical island, and Australia. What I would love to do is take a road trip with my kids when they’re older.
2. Favorite holiday candy that you can’t stay away from.
Reese’s peanut butter cups.
3. Late night or early morning?
Both. I’m usually up very late working and up very early working.
4. Red Sox or Yankees?
Not really a baseball fan; but if I had to pick, it would be the Yankees.
5. What is your favorite movie? And actor?
Hmmm, I don’t really watch movies, but I would have to say Gabriel Byrnes, and the favorite movie…Indiana Jones, but not the last one.
6. Favorite childhood toy you wished you still had.
My little Eeyore stuffed animal.
7. If you were writing a book about your life, what would the title be?
Tales of a Cocoa Addict.
Also thought I’d mention that R.L. told us what REALLY happened while Zoe was in the restroom at the buffet restaurant (Perfection) :)
KIDDING!!!!! Haha If you have any ideas of what DID happen, leave it in the comments section below!
To celebrate R.L.’s success, we have a GIVEAWAY!!! 3 lucky winners will receive any R.L. eBook of their choice! *squeals* :) ENTER HERE!
For a list of all 9 books & descriptions visit http://www.rlmathewson.com/