Remember that delicious Calamari Salad from the Italian restaurant, Bravo, featured in Trust in Advertising? Well, I’ve adapted a NON-SPICY version that even Vincent might enjoy!
• 1 lb cleaned squid
• 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
• 1 tablespoon red-wine vinegar
• 1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
• 1 large garlic clove, minced
• 1/2 teaspoon salt
• 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
• 1 small red onion
• 1/3 cup pitted Kalamata olives, halved lengthwise
• 2 cups cherry or grape tomatoes (3/4 lb), halved or quartered if large
• 1 bag of Mixed Greens or Spring Mix lettuce
1. Rinse squid under cold running water, then lightly pat dry between paper towels. Halve tentacles lengthwise and cut bodies (including flaps, if attached) crosswise into 1/3-inch-wide rings.
2. Cook squid in a 5- to 6-quart pot of boiling salted water, uncovered, until just opaque, 40 to 60 seconds. Drain in a colander and immediately transfer to a bowl of ice and cold water to stop cooking. When squid is cool, drain and pat dry.
3. Whisk together lemon juice, vinegar, oil, garlic, salt, and pepper in a small bowl, then stir in half of red onion, minced and let stand 5 minutes.
4. Meanwhile, combine squid, olives, tomatoes, and thinly sliced onions to bowl. Toss with dressing and season with salt and pepper again if needed.
5. Let stand at least 15 minutes to allow flavors to develop.
6. Just before serving, place lettuce in serving dish or bowls and place portion of calamari mixture on top.
7. Drizzle with additional dressing if needed.
*Recipe adapted from epicurious.com
In Trust in Advertising, Maddie is all about the cookies! What a special treat it was for her to go Vincent’s office and of course sneak in a few cookies. Cookies speak to everyone because they remind us of our childhood and how fun it was to bake.
Here’s my recipe for chocolate chip cookies.
• 8 oz or 2 sticks of Butter (unsalted)
• 5 oz Sugar
• 5 oz Brown sugar, light
• 2 Large Eggs
• 1 tsp Vanilla extract
• 10 oz All purpose flour
• Small pinch of salt
• ¾ tsp baking soda
• 4 oz of dark chocolate chips or chunks
1. Measure and weigh all ingredients using kitchen food scale *Note: ingredients that are weighed do not equal the same in cup measurements (Example: 8 ounces of flour does not equal 1 cup of flour)
2. combining all dry ingredients in one bowl
3. In mixer, with paddle attachment, cream butter until light in color
4. Add sugars, cream again
5. Scrape bowl and add eggs and extract until incorporated
6. Add all dry ingredients on top until smooth
7. Remove batter from mixer and using spatula, fold in chips or chunks
8. Use scoop or large rounded tablespoons to place portions on to baking sheet
9. Bake at 350 degrees for 6-8 minutes until edges are golden brown
10. Cool for 2-5 minutes on pan to allow to set up.
Eat while warm for ultimate treat! Enjoy!
We’ve complied a list of our favorite quotes from Trust in Advertising. We hope you enjoy them!
“Never forget to be true to yourself and go after your dreams, for dreams really do come true – Michelle Futton
“You’re smart and witty. You’re so talented and really have an eye for advertising. Trust in that, and trust in the person who interviewed you today to see that about you.” – Hope
“I need a phone number”….”’Hired assassins don’t come cheap, Lexi. Do you have enough cash on hand?’ Sean leaned forward and began flipping through his Rolodex. ‘Guido the Squid is good and works on credit, but he’s kinda messy. How about Jimmy? You get a discount if you use him, cuz he only has one hand.’” – Lexi & Sean
“…the suits he wore were just plan unfair. No woman alive should resist Vincent Drake in Prada menswear.”
“’Well find him.’….’Nope, he’s not in my drawer.’” – Jade & Lexi
“’I’ll tell Sean you said he was hot’…’I said he was a rat bastard with the potential to be hot!’” – Hope & Lexi
Trust in Advertising…Victoria Michaels once again delivers a can’t-put-it-down novel loaded with engaging characters, cheeky dialogue, and powerful emotions. Trust in Advertising is a cleverly woven tale about two people getting to know each other and ultimately themselves.
Victoria Michaels shared her own delicious recipe! YUM!!
“This recipe can easily be adjusted to taste. I make it all the time without the Vodka when there’s none around. Also, if you don’t like crushed tomato sauce, you can easily substitute with tomato sauce. Enjoy!!” – V
• 1/4 stick of butter
• 1 clove of garlic
• 1/4 tsp of red pepper flakes
• 1 (29 oz) can of crushed tomatoes
• 1/4 cup of Vodka
• 1 1/2 pints of heavy cream
• 3 tablespoons of Parmesan cheese
• Chopped Basil
• Penne pasta
1. Melt butter. Chop/crush garlic and sauté over low heat. Add Red Pepper flakes. Do not let the butter burn. Then add the can of tomatoes and the vodka.
2. Cook over medium heat for 15 minutes. Remove the pan from the heat and add the heavy cream. Stir.
3. Then add the parmesan cheese and chopped fresh basil and continue to stir and cook over medium heat for 10-15 minutes.
4. Serve over penne pasta.Thanks V! You bet we’ll enjoy it!;)
Title: Trust in Advertising
Author: Victoria Michaels
Genre: Contemporary Romance
Grade/Rating: 5 out of 5
Trust in Advertising is a love story that will make your heart melt and break…in a GREAT way! Lexi has just lost her only other family member, her father Harry, and she moves to San Francisco to start over. She had put her dreams to work in advertising aside to care for Harry, and now she’s ready and willing to give it a second chance. Her best friend, Hope, gives her the courage to apply for jobs and she lands a great job in a prestigious company, Hunter Advertising. However, she never would have thought that she would see her high school crush again, let alone WORK for him as his assistant! Vincent Drake was the guy in school that every girl wanted to be next to, including Lexi. Ten years later, is it fate or just a coincidence that brings them back together?
If you were that shy girl in high school, the wallflower, the one who watched from afar, then you’ll definitely LOVE this book. If you weren’t, then you’ll STILL LOVE this book because it’s an engaging story. You get to see Lexi fulfill her dreams as well as see the interactions between Vincent and Lexi. Victoria Michaels has an amazing writing style that makes her characters seem so real & makes you think they could be your best friends. Michaels will make you root for Lexi after the rough life that she’s had; you cheer her on, watching her try and make her dreams come true. She’ll also have you wanting to have a best friend like Hope. Hope is there to be her wing girl and support her. When things begin to crash around Lexi, she’s there to help her pick herself right up.
We have scheduled two great books. While we are wrapping up our discussion on our first book there’s still time for you to read it.
Title: Trust in Advertising
Author: Victoria Michaels
Dates: September 10-22nd
Blurb: Lexi White finds herself at a crossroads. After putting everything on hold to care for her ailing father, it’s finally time for her to start living her life again. An exciting new job holds the promise of a fresh start, until she comes face to face with someone from her past who has always stopped her dead in her tracks, and who evidently still has the power to make her forget her own name. This time around, Lexi’s a grown woman who refuses to back away from her dreams, even if it requires working with her old high school crush. Side by side. Every day. Will he end up being her downfall or exactly what she needs?
Vincent doesn’t even remember Lexi from high school, but he begins to take notice when the fiery young woman is hired as his new assistant. Quickly, Lexi turns his world upside down and becomes an invaluable addition not only to his team, but to his life. Having learned a few hard lessons about trust in the past, Vincent is reluctant to let down his guard, especially when it appears that someone is out to sabotage his family’s advertising agency. Professionally, they are dynamite together, but when sparks fly between them personally, will Vincent let lies and jealousy ruin everything between them, or will he finally learn not only how to love, but ultimately trust…in advertising?
Title: The Siren
Author: Tiffany Reisz
Dates: August 29-September 8
Blurb: Notorious Nora Sutherlin is famous for her delicious works of erotica, each one more popular with readers than the last. But her latest manuscript is different—more serious, more personal—and she’s sure it’ll be her breakout book…if it ever sees the light of day.
Zachary Easton holds Nora’s fate in his well-manicured hands. The demanding British editor agrees to handle the book on one condition: he wants complete control. Nora must rewrite the entire novel to his exacting standards—in six weeks—or it’s no deal.
Nora’s grueling writing sessions with Zach are draining…and shockingly arousing. And a dangerous former lover has her wondering which is more torturous—staying away from him…or returning to his bed?
Nora thought she knew everything about being pushed to your limits. But in a world where passion is pain, nothing is ever that simple.