The following recipe is from The Perfect Peach by The Masumoto Family.
* This recipe is of the Crostada but made in the traditional way, not the way written in the directions of the book.
Dough: (prepare 1 day in advance)
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
6 TBSP Whole Wheat flour
1 TBSP Sugar
1/2 cup + 1 TBSP Butter, unsalted cold and cubed
1 Lg egg
1 1/2 tsp milk
1/2 cup sugar
3 TBSP all-purpose flour
1.2 tsp cinnamon
6-8 peaches, ripened, peeled and cut into wedges
about 1/4 cup of turbinado sugar or coarse sanding sugar for edges
1 TBSP Heavy Cream
Directions: (for dough)
- Place flour, sugar, and salt in a medium bowl or food processor and blend/pulse to mix.
- Scatter cubed butter into flour and mix by hand or pulse until resembling coarse sand.
- In small bowl, whisk egg and milk together.
- Add to flour mixture and mix or pulse until rough dough forms clumps. Do NOT overmix, will become paste and toughen dough. **If dough is extremely wet, can add up to 2 TBSP of all-purpose flour (I had this issue with the recipe and added flour)
- Pull together and form into disk about 1″-1 1/2″ thick. Do NOT knead.
- Wrap disk in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 1.5-2 hrs or up to one day.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Place flour, sugar, and cinnamon in small bowl and mix together.
- Place sliced peaches in medium bowl and sprinkle with flour mixture. Making sure to coat and stir thoroughly without damaging peaches.
- Place dough on floured parchment paper, precut to fit baking sheet.
- Roll dough into circle about 11″ in diameter and about 1/8″ thickness.
- Slide dough disk and parchment paper onto baking sheet.
- Using sliced peaches, arrange in single later, going in a circle starting about 1″-1 1/2″ from edge of dough disk. Continue pattern until you reach the center. **If there is a lot of juices left over, don’t add to peaches, will end up with boil over.
- Start at 12’oclock position and begin folding edge of dough over peaches, overlapping dough as you go in circle until completed.
- Using pastry brush, brush outer edges of dough with heavy cream and sprinkle with sugar (turbinado or coarse variety)
- Place in center of oven and bake for 50-60 minutes or until crust is golden brown. **If using baking sheet with no edges, place empty baking sheet on rack beneath to avoid spillage in your oven.
- Once cooled for about 20-30 minutes, cut into wedges and serve!