Remember that delicious Calamari Salad from the Italian restaurant, Bravo, featured in Trust in Advertising? Well, I’ve adapted a NON-SPICY version that even Vincent might enjoy!
• 1 lb cleaned squid
• 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
• 1 tablespoon red-wine vinegar
• 1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
• 1 large garlic clove, minced
• 1/2 teaspoon salt
• 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
• 1 small red onion
• 1/3 cup pitted Kalamata olives, halved lengthwise
• 2 cups cherry or grape tomatoes (3/4 lb), halved or quartered if large
• 1 bag of Mixed Greens or Spring Mix lettuce
1. Rinse squid under cold running water, then lightly pat dry between paper towels. Halve tentacles lengthwise and cut bodies (including flaps, if attached) crosswise into 1/3-inch-wide rings.
2. Cook squid in a 5- to 6-quart pot of boiling salted water, uncovered, until just opaque, 40 to 60 seconds. Drain in a colander and immediately transfer to a bowl of ice and cold water to stop cooking. When squid is cool, drain and pat dry.
3. Whisk together lemon juice, vinegar, oil, garlic, salt, and pepper in a small bowl, then stir in half of red onion, minced and let stand 5 minutes.
4. Meanwhile, combine squid, olives, tomatoes, and thinly sliced onions to bowl. Toss with dressing and season with salt and pepper again if needed.
5. Let stand at least 15 minutes to allow flavors to develop.
6. Just before serving, place lettuce in serving dish or bowls and place portion of calamari mixture on top.
7. Drizzle with additional dressing if needed.
*Recipe adapted from epicurious.com